THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Past, Present, Future

Its New Year's Eve. Tonight we will stay up way too late. In the morning we will eat black eyed peas, collared greens and fried chicken. This is what all good Southerners eat on New Years Day. Superstition says black eyed peas will bring you luck and collared greens will bring you money in the New Year. Finally we will make resolutions.

While travelling this weekend I heard a radio commentary advocating the past. Essentially the argument was that there is no necessity for people to live in the present. As I hung out with my husband's family I wondered if they ascribed to this reasoning. They excitedly retold family stories with such great pleasure. They reminisced for hours only hesitating once to discuss what they would do if they won the lottery.

I typically live on the other end of the spectrum. I dream daily of what the future might hold. The functionality of my relationship with Jess is built largely on dreams. Every day we stop and tell each other what our ideal future might hold. This is not reality but the hope of a new reality.

Your 2010 resolution list may be long or short or perhaps non-existent. While I continue to work towards my dreams I have resolved to try harder to be content with the present. I want to enjoy more moments with my son instead of dreaming of a day when he no longer wears diapers. I am not sure living in the present is a requirement but this year I would like to make it a choice.

3 Comments:

At December 31, 2009 at 11:43 AM , Blogger Leigh T said...

Amen and Amen. May the Lord bless you in your endevor as a mother and wife in 2010. Love and hugs to you and your today. We'll also be eating black eyes peas tomorrow, with our smoked ham and cherry pie. Bring your fried chicken to our house and we'll feast!!

 
At January 1, 2010 at 6:42 AM , Blogger Jesse, Toni and JAC said...

Leigh! I love your comments so much. They give me so much strength and pleasure. One of your greatest talents is the ability to exhort and encourage. I am so glad I'm your friend so I can benefit from these things. I love you! I hope the next decade brings you happiness and a deep closeness to Christ.

 
At January 11, 2010 at 6:06 PM , Blogger Leigh T said...

You wrote me back! I didn't know you could do that!! Haa!!! Now i have go back and reread everything to see if you commented on my comment.... Love you back, and I love your blog; it's my mini vacation. Kurt knows that "The Adventures of the JAC Attack" in the upper left corner means: they'd better be bleeding. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home