THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Latest Creation

I'm just about to finish sewing my latest apron.  This apron is a gift for the older lady who leads my Mom's Bible Study group.  She is the grandmother of five and very feminine yet strong.  It took me a long time to pick this fabric.  I wanted something in the vibrant colors she often wears but I also didn't want it to seem garish. 

Today as I sewed down ruffles I couldn't help but think about my Tutu.  Tutu of course, was my great-grandmother.  She too was very feminine yet full of strong opinions.  Last week when we were cleaning out our junk room I happened across a small jewelry box where I had saved a few pieces of Tutu's jewelry.  Today I wore a slender gold Tutu bracelet and it caught bits of light reflecting them as I sewed. 

I am enjoying creating new aprons.  I love pairing fabric combinations and planning a fitting gift for a friend.  I also love that none of these projects require patterns.  The more I sew the more I despise patterns.  I hate the rules and the precision.  I love the challenge of mentally deconstructing garments and attempting to re-construct them from my imagination.  I think this could speak to a major theme of my life.  I hate directions but would rather dig in and figure my way out.

I hope everyone is having a calm Tuesday evening.  I have had a wonderfully quiet day.  How was your day?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home