THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Time, Food and Coffee

We have been going non stop today and it is so nice to sit down with an afternoon cup of coffee and write while JAC watches Curious George. JAC has been a real trooper today as we dashed from one errand to the next. I'm rewarding him by letting him watch movies instead of taking a nap. I felt bad for him. I ran in and dropped our perishable groceries in the fridge before heading to our lunch date and JAC begged, "Inside Please." Later I forgot my umbrella and we both trekked through the rain towards our lunch location. He didn't complain and there are few things cuter than a small boy in a green frog rain coat.

My friend sent me thisStrawberry Rhubarb Cake recipe and it reminded me that it is rhubarb season! I have to make a pie. I love pie and I think the seasons could be renamed for pie. The spring could be Rhubarb pie, the summer blueberry or lemon, the fall pumpkin or apple and the winter could be named Frito pie of course.

While we're talking about food I thought I would share this recipe for Navajo Fried Bread I found. Indian tacos are popular in New Mexico and occasionally I miss them. They are made with fried bread and are absolutely delicious. Here in D.C the only place to get them is at the cafeteria in the National Museum of the American Indian. I think the museum is BORING but the cafeteria is worth the stop.

Time seems to pass both quickly and slowly when in the company of a two year old. It weighs more heavily on my mind today because we recently started timing most things with a kitchen timer. It is a trick that saves my sanity. For instance, we used to fight JAC during dinner and attempt to coax him to eat. Now we put food on his plate, set the timer for 15 minutes and eat dinner. JAC doesn't have to eat but he does have to sit for all of "family time." When the timer goes off he is free to be excused. Today I was so busy that I took a two minute shower. That was all of the time I had. The timer apparently works great for moms too.

Do you have any tricks that are saving your sanity? Are you a "pie person?" I'm not sure we can still be friends if you aren't. Do you have a great recipe that I need to try? I would love to hear how your hump day is going.

1 Comments:

At May 18, 2011 at 12:21 PM , Blogger Leigh T said...

Mmmmm... I too am enjoying my afternoon coffee and a peanut butter cookie (homemade and most importantly, milk free!). My new sanity trick usually gets whipped out about 4pm, right when I need to get busy with pick-up and dinner and the kids simultaneously fall apart and run out of things to do. We all go in the living room and sing every action song I can think of (Lord's army, Bumble Bee, Baby Shark, etc). The kids love the action and attention, I need the extra excercise, and it gets them going again to be creative and find something to do. Works everytime and it takes only 5-7 minutes of my time.

I am a pie person --- but I do believe I like the cool whip more than the pie! My favorites are coconut cream and dutch apple. Delicious!! Uh oh... I am thinking about it now and may have to put one together... :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home