THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Stuff

This afternoon I felt really sleepy.  As I lay down for a nap, closed my eyes and tried to fall asleep I was haunted.  I had this horrible nagging feeling like my skin was itching.  I knew that itch.  It was a familiar itch.  It was the anxiety caused by clutter and I just couldn't stand it.

Ever since I learned we were moving I can't help but feel like we have too much stuff.  The fact that the cost of the move is calculated by weight only further motivates me to purge every non essential item in our house.  Most of those items exist in our junk room.  Some people have junk drawers.  We had a junk room and actually a junk drawer too.  Most days I just shut the door to our junk room and forget it but I couldn't stand it one moment longer.

I started tossing stuff out with reckless abandon.  When Jess came home I enlisted his help too.  It was an all out family cleaning fest and I think JAC realized his role in the process.  When I forgot dinner time JAC didn't hesitate.  He opened the fridge picked out his favorite foods, put them on his tray and climbed into his high chair.  I found him feeding himself dinner when I ran past looking for more packing tape.

When we finished tonight we gave over 18 large trash bags full of stuff to charity.  I felt so motivated that I even took pictures of our furniture and advertised it on Craig's List.  I already have a buyer and I am feeling lighter.  The raw itch of clutter feels less desperate.  Later this week I'll conquer our book cases.  Does anyone want to take over 200 titles on "nerdology" off my hands?



Oh - and JAC found Jess' old hockey gear amidst the chaos.  It was pretty cute!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home