THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Dilemma

I have a current and pressing dilemma.   20 minutes after putting JAC in his crib for a nap I knew something was wrong.  He was screaming and I could tell he was in pain.  I rushed in to find him with a bloody lip.  His blanket was piled up in the corner and I'm pretty sure he was using it in an escape attempt.

I knew this day would come but I have been dreading it.  Keeping JAC in his crib provided us with a little sanity.  He was in confined space and I didn't have to worry.  Now his escape attempt indicates it is time to move him into a "big kid bed" and I hate the idea.

I don't hate it because I'm sentimental and wish to hold onto babyhood.  I just know it will be a pain in the neck to keep him in bed without restraints. 

The first night Jess was out of town I attempted to let JAC sleep with me.  I was feeling nervous and he was up late crying.  The plan turned into a disaster.  JAC would reach over in the middle of the night and grab my face.  He then located my necklace and started chewing on it while I was wearing it.  These antics were only interrupting by him repeatedly jumping out of bed, running into the living room and then crying because it was dark.  Eventually I threw him back in his crib.  I hate the idea of the "big boy bed."

5 Comments:

At July 28, 2010 at 7:21 AM , Anonymous Jill Horn said...

Big dog kennel. Those can be made quite comfortable. ;P Really tall gate to block him in his room when you need a break.

 
At July 28, 2010 at 10:11 AM , Blogger Jill said...

I don't know what your philosophies are on punishment, but I think if he knows something VERY unpleasant will result from him getting up out of bed (and you really enforce it) he will learn to stay in bed. Good luck!!! We haven't converted Jake's crib to a toddler bed yet for this same reason. Luckily he hasn't tried to escape yet...

 
At July 28, 2010 at 10:15 AM , Blogger Jesse, Toni and JAC said...

I've actually thought about putting plywood on top of the crib...it was just a thought.

I agree with the punishment scenario. We've had to use it in a similar hotel situation. It's just hard on my heart.

 
At July 28, 2010 at 1:26 PM , Anonymous Jill Horn said...

I like the plywood idea. Duct tape works for when he gets older.

 
At July 28, 2010 at 8:25 PM , Blogger Leigh T said...

Well I like the dog kennel idea! That is fabulous. We could make millions if we bought them cheap and decorated them all cute. It would be perfect if it had a milk despenser in there. Ha! Sorry for this transition time, but you'll make it and surely once everyone is adjusted and educated your little man will love his big boy bed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home