THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Artomatic

Jess was out of town this weekend and I decided to make the best of it by indulging in some art. Each year there is a huge art show in D.C called Artomatic. It moves locations every year and local developers donate the use of vacant buildings for the six week show. The show has no curator. Instead artists pay a small fee and donate fifteen hours of labor to display their work in the show. This year Artomatic was held in an unfinished condo high rise and consisted of eight floors of art, performing arts, and music. Almost 1,000 artists participated. I was excited to go and I thought it would be a fun, laid back place to take a baby. JAC seemed to enjoy the art and we found free parking which is almost unheard of in D.C. I had a good time but I left the show with several distinct observations.

1. There is a lot of really bad art. I feel the same way about a most acting. I generally love art of all genres but I'm pretty sure some of those artists might need to try a new career.

2. Artists really seem to need a cause. Most of the booths were trying to portray a message. I wondered if the great painters of the Renaissance felt so much angst.

3. Naked lesbians making out and guys with disproportionately large members seemed to be the unstated theme of the year. (I should have guessed when there was a parental warning posted as we walked in. I hope JAC isn't scarred for life.)

As we drove home from the show I tried to decide what is the true value of great art. I have always loved art and perhaps part of the value is simply entertainment. Still, I have always felt art has the ability to document what a society was really about. I couldn't help but wonder, if art serves to document society, what will the art of this generation say about us?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home