THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Monday, May 25, 2009

Happy Memorial Day!




My son and husband are currently upstairs watching the movie "Patton," and I am grateful. I am grateful to have my husband here with me instead of overseas and I am thankful he can teach JAC how to be a man because I know I couldn't do it on my own. I am also very thankful for the wonderful people who loved and supported me while Jess was deployed - especially my church small group.

We just got back from the D.C Memorial Day parade and it was awesome! It was three hours of bands, cool cars, floats, horses, soldiers, and much more. Volunteers were handing out flags to wave and many groups were out to show support for our veterans. Even JAC got into the spirit of things and waved his little flag during the parade.

Jess and I have discovered a D.C phenomenon. All weekend we have expected to run into huge holiday crowds but instead the opposite has been true. The city has been empty. I think Washingtonians have fled to the beach or perhaps the mountains to enjoy their holiday weekend and Jess and I are taking full advantage of the empty city. This morning we even found prime parade parking for free.

Last night we went with our friend Kevin to the huge outdoor amphitheater run by the National Park Service. It is a great venue to watch a show and they were featuring a free "President's Own Marine Corps Band," concert. The band put on a really good show and we all enjoyed a picnic dinner on the lawn. After the show they had fireworks. Jess and I love fireworks but these were no ordinary fireworks. It was a 30 minute fireworks show and they fired them off about 100 yards down hill from use. The result was an awesome display of flashing colors right above our heads. I have never been that close to fireworks before and it was absolutely breathtaking. When the fireworks show first started JAC was snoozing and the sound woke him up. His eyes got really big and then he let out a big scream. Thinking fast I grabbed his bottle. He loves to eat and he quickly settled down and began watching the show. He seemed just as entranced as we were.

I have enjoyed the long weekend with my family but I have not forgotten the reason for our extra day together. I am grateful to all of our veterans, and government civilians who are working hard to keep the nation safe. I hope today you'll take a moment to thank a veteran in your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home