THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Monday, February 9, 2009

Mud and a Lack of Order

The weather has been beautiful the past few days and Washingtonians are taking full advantage of it. Saturday I loaded up JAC and Roxy and headed for our usual running location only to find there was a waiting line to get into the parking lot. I tried a few of my other favorite spots only to find the same thing. It seems like the city has come out of winter hibernation. Finally I drove to the Billy Goat Trail and after circling the parking lots 3 times managed to find a spot and had a great run.

Today I returned to the Billy Goat Trail for my daily run. It is nice and flat and the dirt trail is easy on my shin splints. As I unloaded the dog, baby and stroller I realized how much order JAC has forced order into my life. I have always valued spontaneity and never placed a premium on organization. Now that JAC is here everything has a routine. For instance I always put JAC in the stroller first and then let Roxy out for fear that she might dart after a bicycle and carry my stroller away. Also, every night when JAC cries I change him first and then feed him because I don't want him to wake up after I feed him.

The Billy Goat Trail was absolutely beautiful. The weather was sunny and the Potomac looked pristine. I stopped at the lookout at the Great Falls so JAC could see his first waterfall and there were lots of bird out enjoying the weather. I even ran five miles instead of the three miles I had planned. ( I actually missed a mile marker and then had to run and extra mile home.) There was only one small drawback to our run today. Ice had melted leaving portions of the trail very muddy and as a result both Roxy and I came back covered in mud. When we got back to the car I put JAC in his car seat, fastened him in, loaded the stroller and then put Roxy in the back seat. I usually let Roxy ride shotgun and she usually spends most of the drive trying to crawl into my lap only to finally reconcile herself to just putting her head in my lap while I drive. Today Roxy was so muddy I didn't want her riding in the front so I tied her up in the back seat to ensure she didn't try to sneak up front. About half way through the drive as I was attempting to merge onto 495 and looked in my rear view mirror and noticed her leash was stretched over towards JAC. I thought this was curious but didn't have the time to investigate further. Finally I stopped at a light on 50 and looked back. To my surprise Roxy was sitting in the car seat with JAC. She was lying across his feet and stomach looking out the window. JAC seemed completely unfazed but his blankets and car seat were covered in mud. As we neared our house JAC began to whimper. I looked back and saw Roxy lick his forehead. That dog is highly unpredictable but it is nice to know my son is not easily upset. Though I have to wonder what Roxy was thinking...

1. I can't sit in mom's lap so JAC's will have to do
2. I'll show the baby who's the head of the pack
3. If I sit on the baby I'll have a better view out the window

Your guess is as good as mine. I just wish I had brought my camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home