THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Concrete

I am feeling excited this morning. Jac is officially one month old and I've officially survived one month as a new mom. I never thought I'd be here. Last night we went over to some friends and it was a blast. Jac has been perpetually fussy and after I fed him two of my friends took turns holding him while the whole group played games. It was so much fun. It was just nice to feel like we were still part of the real world and still had friends even though Jac has drastically changed our lives.

Today is inauguration day and D.C is a zoo. People have been waiting since 4 in the morning in 20 degree weather to get on the metro and go down to the mall. Millions of people are expected and I can already since an air of excitement. I might not have voted for Obama but I am happy that his election has brought so many people together who once felt disenfranchised and renewed the sense of hope in America. I have always felt that the ability to dream and believe in a better future was something that made America special. I am glad that Obama's election has sparked that once again.

On a final note - A few nights ago I watched a show on T.V about the Hoover Dam. Enough concrete was used in building the dam to construct a highway from San Fransisco to New York City. Every so often core samples are taken to test the strength of the the concrete. If the dam were to fail it would be catastrophic flooding an area the size of Pennsylvania. Even after decades of existence some of the concrete in the dam is still just as soft as the day it was poured but the dam remains strong because the foundation and exterior walls are solid. I couldn't help but think how much this must be like parenting. My parents worked so hard to instill lessons that would last a lifetime but some of those lessons are still hardening, not yet taken to heart. Instead, my parents have to believe the foundation and structure they provided will be enough to keep us strong and intact until the day those lessons we have yet to embrace have solidified.

1 Comments:

At January 21, 2009 at 2:02 PM , Blogger mom said...

Loved your Hoover Dam analogy--very thoughtful.
You are a special person and I'm glad you're my baby--congratulations on yours and Jac's one-month anniversary!
Love you,
Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home