THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tonight

Tonight as I write JAC and Jess are snuggled into our couch watching old Tom and Jerry cartoons.  It is moments like these that I am overwhelmingly thankful that I was not chosen to walk through life alone.  I was gifted a great friend to belong with.

One of my favorite things about Jess is how he marks time.  I think every person highlights the progress of their life with small emotional landmarks.  For instance, I once heard a woman with six kids say she could remember important life events by recalling which child she was pregnant with at the time.

Jess has this wonderful innate ability to mark time using the positive side of the spectrum.  Instead of remembering the month he left for Iraq he remembers the month we took that great vacation.  He is constantly encouraging me to evaluate time using this method.  This week as I grew ultimately exhausted of potty training I  hammered out and irritable email to Jess.  I listed all of our weekly failures and then slammed the computer shut.  A few minutes later I received a calm reply.  It was just two short lines but it said something like this, "Remember how well JAC did yesterday?  Instead of counting the accidents let's measure the successes."

All week I tried to remember Jess' words. Now as I recall our week it seems like it was an awesome week - not an exhausting one. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home