THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Metaphorically Speaking

I have finally gotten the hang of winter running.  The trick is to wear 3-4 layers depending on the weather.  I've run four times this week and it felt great.  I also found my lost running glove under my bed.  (Please insert the Hallelujah Chorus here.)  I'm really pretty fond of these cheap cotton gloves and was happy to see the pair reunited.  Speaking of gloves - I'm thinking of buying stock in a factory that makes kids' gloves.  We seem to be always missing one.  Today on our run JAC wore one blue glove and one black mitten.  It was all I could find and I was in a hurry.  Winter running also requires me to dress a small wild child in eight layers.  I'm moving to the tropics next year.

For some reason I find myself thinking of sappy metaphors when I am running.  For instance, every day we cross an extremely busy street on our run route.  JAC and I wait patiently at the crosswalk for a gap in traffic and then make a mad dash across four lanes.  I count this as my sprint workout.  Some days we get lucky and a nice soul will stop their car at the crosswalk.  Once one car has stopped it has a contagious affect on the other three lanes and the traffic comes to a complete stop.  JAC and I can cross safely.  Don't you think they could make a sappy T-shirt that said "Cause Traffic to Stop - Obey the Crosswalk!"  I also like, "Cause a Trend - Stop." 

I admit these T-shirt ideas seemed better mid-stride.  I think that is part of the joy of running.  I can stop being serious and enjoy the rhythm.  As an added bonus JAC points out every squirrel and dog along the trail.  I would hate to miss that. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home