THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Run Fast and Then Party

Jess and I are the Yen and the Yang of running. I'm a pace runner. I like to settle into a steady pace and cruise on home. Jess is a rabbit runner. He speeds up and then slows down. We both get the job done but in our own way.

Sometimes, I find Jess' rabbit habits a little infuriating. He always seems to speed up right when I have found my comfortable pace. Tonight we headed to our favorite running trail and hit the pavement. I unleashed my secret weapon - The jogging stroller.

Let me explain. I've been jogging with stroller since JAC was an infant and it takes some practice and a little finesse to get good at it. Jess always volunteers to push the stroller when we run together but I'm so used to it that I typically just do it.

Tonight when Jess started his sporadic running patterns I surrendered the stroller. Instantly I felt free and I wanted a little payback. Without the stroller I could use my upper body and push the pace. I settled into my my eight minute mile pace and pulled ahead. My inner Puma was out and I was making a dead sprint for the last two miles. I felt fast. I felt free. I didn't feel like a jogger. I felt like a runner.

Luckily Jess took this all in stride. I'm always impressed with how well he gets me. He said he knew I need a good hard run and he was right. When we arrived at our car there was a Salvadorean dance troop practicing in the parking lot. They had a minivan blasting traditional Salvadorean music while they practiced. JAC started stomping his feet and clapping. Jess and I encouraged him and started dancing too. A few minutes later I looked up and there were other people grouped around watching the dance troop, swaying to the music and clapping. It was like an instant block party and it was magical.

1 Comments:

At April 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM , Blogger Leigh T said...

I love it when you post about your magical evenings. Hooray! Your kid is going to have the best childhood memories. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home