THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Biology from a Dork

I am taking a Biology class and I have really begun to embrace my inner dork. Tonight I was studying and as usual I could not help but be fascinated. I thought I would share a tiny bit of Biology with you tonight too.

One in three people will get cancer in their lifetime. While all cancers are different they all consist of "out of control cells." Naturally cells die off and reproduce but when cancer occurs cells fail to die off. Instead they rapidly reproduce and take over. This is how a tumor is formed.

Cancer is a deadly force but there is one type of cell that reproduces faster than cancer. It is an embryo cell. The Embryo's ability to rapidly grow allows for a baby to be completely in a matter of approximately 40 weeks.

I could not help but find it somewhat ironic that the scourge of cancer is caused by cells not dying but the only thing more powerful than the disease is a new life. Hopefully that will give you something to ponder for a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home