THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Surprise!

A few weeks ago Jess taught JAC how to tell me "Happy Birthday!"  Now JAC tells me almost every day.  Jess also taught JAC to say "Surprise!"  Lately I've been trying to teach JAC that not all surprises are good.  For instance, JAC jumping out from under a mountain of pillows and yelling, "Surprise!" is cute.  This is a good surprise.  Walking into JAC's room post nap and discovering the guts of his toy dog strewn all over the room is a bad surprise. It doesn't matter how enthusiastically he yells, "Surprise."  Anything involving poo is also considered a bad surprise.

Today I put out a fire in my house.  To understand this story you must understand I have an ancient oven.  I believe it might have been crafted by slave labor during the time of Moses.  This oven must be lit every use and when the gas is ignited the oven sounds a gigantic, "Whesh!"

The top of the oven bakes.  The bottom of the oven broils.  It has two doors and two compartments.  Last night I broiled some garlic toast, started talking to my neighbor and burnt the toast to a crisp.  In a hurry, I simply turned the broiler off and slammed the oven door.  I forgot to take the toast out but today a few minutes after throwing in some tater tots to bake I remembered my toast.  The kitchen filled with black smoke was a good hint.  I opened the broiler door and the toast had flames jumping off of it.  I of course put the fire out and dumped the charred toast on the back porch.

Flaming toast is a bad surprise.  Now JAC has spent most of the day walking around repeating, "Mom made fire - fire bad!"  There is nothing quite like a two year old reminding you of your cooking mishaps.  I hope your day has been equally surprising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home