THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Better

In preparation for our open house we spent two days cleaning.  The closets are organized, the bathtub has fresh chalk, the floors are polished and the house is saturated in Pinesol.  The house looks perfect and as we flopped on the couch last night, exhausted Jess and I shared the same thought.  We are ready to move.  It is time.

Yesterday in the middle of scrubbing I looked at the basement stairway walls and thought it need a bit of touch-up paint.  I dug through old cans of paint and found the perfect matching beige color.  I went to work and in a few minutes I knew I had made a terrible mistake.  The paint was half a color too dark.  I madly tried to paint the whole wall before Jess learned of my mistake.  I wasn't fast enough and I had to hang doggedly admit my mistake.  Jess was frustrated - I could tell, but he never said a negative word.  He simply took over the painting and he completed the job with excellence.  As I watch I marveled knowing if the shoe was on the other foot my reaction would have been much different.  I spent the rest of the day trying to be nicer than Jess.

This morning I whipped up a quick breakfast while the boys slept in.  I was about to throw half dirty dishes into the washer but when I opened it and changed my mind.  Last night Jess had loaded the washer and each dish was perfectly rinsed, lined in even rows.  I couldn't mess things up.  I removed my dishes, scrubbed them twice and placed them neatly in.  I couldn't help but think, "Jess really makes me a better person."  It is remarkable how many simple moments we hold daily - an opportunity to inspire others to be their best version of themselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home