THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

What They Never Tell You

I started this blog because everywhere I looked people were having perfectly blissful parenting experiences.  I was stuck holding a baby that wouldn't stop screaming and never slept.  I found women talking about the endless joys of parenting absolutely nauseating.  Truthfully I didn't feel joyful at all.  I wanted my old life back.  There is no going back and I promised myself that I would share both the good and bad of parenting in hopes that other people could laugh, commiserate and feel less alone.

There are so many aspects of parenting that are simply trial by fire.  We are enduring an extremely difficult month of parenting and I need to write about it.  Here are a few things they will never tell you about raising a toddler.

1. When you get married you expect to have a few bad fights and perhaps a few bad weeks.  Truthfully you will likely have bad years.  These are years where you desperately want to come up for air but instead feel like you are continually drowning.  Parenting operates in similar cycles.  Your toddler will likely be horrid for several months.  You will not want to hang out with him and then one day your happy, cool kid will return for no reason at all.

2. Toddlers throw tantrums.  Each toddler is different.  Lately JAC has been throwing absolutely terrifying tantrums that last over half an hour. Sometimes I think he is demon possessed  He screams, kicks, thrashes, hits and bites.  Yesterday I spent ten minutes with his little body squashed between my knees and my forearm on his chest.  He tantrum was completely out of control.  I was afraid he would hurt himself and was trying to calm him down while he hit and kicked me.

3. Your child will test you over and over again.  You will think that you can't fight another battle and then you have to put your game face on again.  It is overwhelmingly exhausting.

4. Potty training is very difficult.  You might assume that your child would prefer not to be a disgusting mess but they may not care.  Instead they might care even more about asserting control and refusing to do anything you suggest.

5. You will pray so much.  You will pray more than you have ever prayed before.  You will beg God for patience and beg God that your child will learn to LISTEN!  You might even beg God to prevent you from shaking your kid because your kid really deserves it.

6.  You will start thinking preschool is a really good idea but then realize that preschool is really expensive and all of your money is being spent on diapers because your kid won't use the potty!

7. You will be so thankful for friends and your mom who help you remember to have a since of humor.  You will also be really thankful for a margarita at the end of a tough day.

1 Comments:

At March 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Hang in there. I'm praying with you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home