THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Science Experiment

Living with a toddler is akin to living with a science experiment.  Small children are the most basic version of human beings before circumstance and bad parenting screw them up.  Plus, just like most experiments you can never quite predict how they are going to turn out.

Yesterday another driver honked, screamed and then proceeded to give me the bird.  She was angry because I was talking on my cell phone while driving.  Truthfully, I often talk on my phone while driving because my kid is strapped into his car seat and not attempting to dismantle our DVD player or ride the dog.  In this particular instance I was very lost and calling for directions.  As the other driver swerved past me I couldn't help but wonder, "did her actions action make her feel happier?"

Monday is house cleaning day in the Connelly household.  JAC loves housecleaning day and today I was completely invested in the project.  I cleaned bathrooms, mopped floors and scrubbed baseboards.  JAC watched the whole time following me from room to room and offering to use various cleaning sprays.  As I was bent down scrubbing JAC jumped on my back.  He saw an open opportunity for a horse back ride.  For one tiny moment I considered pushing him off but I realized - cleaning baseboards while playing cowboy is a lot more fun.  JAC rode on my back and giggled as I finished the rest of the baseboards.  He also made a goofy game of hiding in my closet and jumping out to surprise me while I dusted.

Today I also gave our disgustingly dirty dog a bath in our sink.  JAC watched with true interest and intense concern as our dog whimpered in protest.  He showed the same sympathy when I later cut my finger while dusting.  He wanted to examine my finger and kept repeating, "hurt ouch."

Children are naturally helpful and very empathetic.  Their capacity for joy is masterful.  They are genuinely creative and can make a fun game out of dusting baseboards.  They have a never ending enthusiasm and curiosity about life.  I know they can also be obstinate and lack basic judgment but I can't help but wonder - at what age to we become cynical and start flipping each other off?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home