THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Most Days

Most days I'm an ordinary house mom.  I'm obsessively frugal.  I play with play dough and trains.  I frequently find my two year old perched three feet off the ground on our window ledge.  I like to run and I consider it a good day if I have showered, brushed my teeth and put makeup on before five.  Some days, every once in a while, I am cool and spontaneous.  I'm even a little bit fun.

Wednesday I woke up in a complete fog. I had over medicated myself on Benedryl and felt lousy. I curled up on the corner of the couch and put on PBS Kids programming. I really wanted to go back to bed. My daze was interrupted by a very early morning phone call.

My friend Jana called.  A snow storm was moving in fast.  Did I want to beat the storm, load up the kids and head for the ski slopes?  I hesitated for a mere moment and then I felt an adventure brewing.  I knew I had to go.

We were on the road by lunch.  We split the hotel costs and brought snacks for the kids and a bottle of wine for the adults.  Her two kids love JAC.  Sometimes when I watch the three of them together I laugh because they treat JAC like a well prized puppy.  It was almost a parenting vacation because the two older kids kept JAC constantly entertained.

We crashed in the hotel, ate bar food and let the kids watch Disney movies.  The next morning JAC went to "playcare" and everyone else headed for the slopes.  We had a blast!  The slopes were nearly empty and six inches of fresh snow fell the night before.  We skied all morning and then I picked up JAC and we played in the snow.  JAC embraced the snow with great enthusiasm rolling around like a little polar bear.  He didn't even flinch when the older kids started a snow ball fight.  He just joined right in.  When we left later that afternoon everyone was tired and happy.  A few minutes later we looked back and the two younger kids were fast asleep.

Most days I'm just a mom but some days I get to take spontaneous ski trips and I don't feel like a mom at all.  I feel awesome.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home