THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ordinary

Destruction and sadness seem much more entertaining than happiness.  There is some secret allure to watching things fall apart.  It has an addicting quality. Some days I contemplate whether this phenomenon is created because people recognize something familiar in pain or is it instead the opposite.  While everyone will experience dark years of life few will be chosen for prolonged acute suffering.

The never-ending media stream of divorce, hunger, rape, pain and disaster only proves the national appetite for unhappiness. Still I wish the ordinary was spoken of more highly.

Yesterday was my husband's birthday and I can't help but think how the ordinary has gifted us happiness. We are two ordinary people. We live ordinary lives. After almost five years of marriage the ordinary seems worth savoring. The small pains once endured are not worth dwelling on. Instead, I love the daily pot of coffee waiting for me when I wake up. Jess always makes it on his way out the door. I love the that I never have to ask for the trash to be taken out. I love the way Jess proudly shows his co-workers the weekly pictures of JAC. I love taking our walk together every night.  I love his arm wrapped around my shoulder every Sunday at church.

While none of these things will ever make the nightly news they have served to create a very happy marriage.  I am so thankful for my ordinary life and I hope today you have a very ordinary day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home