THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Big Kayaking Trip

Kayaking is a big part of our family history.  The last day Jess and I spent together before he went to Iraq I asked him what fun thing he wanted to do for the day.  He said he wanted to go kayaking.  Unfortunately it was too early in the season to rent kayaks.  Instead we did something completely out of character.  We made a big impulse buy.  We went to the sporting goods store and purchased two kayaks, two paddles and two life vests.  We spent a the whole day kayaking.

Later when Jess returned from Iraq kayaking was a quiet way to reconnect but when JAC was born it drastically cut down on our kayaking. We have been waiting for JAC to get big enough to share in the kayaking fun. Yesterday we decided it was time. We put on his new red life vest and ventured onto the Potomac.

At first JAC was tentative and sat quietly between my knees. He quickly grew restless and kept reaching for the water. Eventually we paddled more quickly and he enjoyed the faster pace. After the first hour Jess offered to take JAC back to the shore while I paddled alone. JAC seemed relieved to be back on solid ground but as soon as he saw me paddle away he started shouting, "Ma!" He climbed into Jess' kayak and demanded to go back on the water.

JAC rode in Jess' kayak awhile and eventually we swapped again.  JAC spent the last hour standing in the front captaining my kayak. It was a fun day and we spent nearly 3.5 hours on the water. I was proud of JAC and I'm glad to finally share the sport I love with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home