THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Unsolicited Running Advice - It's Physics

I want to be old and gray and still running with Jess. Or, perhaps we will have matching mountain bikes. Basically, I'm crazy about this guy and always want to be his buddy especially in outdoor adventures.

This morning on the trail I was admiring all the couples walking hand in hand. When I got done thinking the aforementioned mushy thoughts I started analyzing my running form.

I have never had much upper body strength. I'm just not built that way. I think lots of girls have this problem and it often manifests itself in one typical running error. Runners often pull their arms up to their chests or swing them across their bodies when they are tired.

This might seem natural but it works against yourself. If you think about the physics of it all when your arms are pulled in they shift your weight side to side rather than helping propel you forward. It's wasted energy.

When I was younger both my parents tried to help me get stronger and more coordinated. My mom told me to envision two ropes on each side of your body horizontal to the ground. Envision each arm reaching forward to pull on this rope while you run.

I still think about this when I get tired and it seems to really help. My mom has always been great at teaching us to use mental pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home