THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Saturday, February 6, 2010

In My Mind's Eye






When my brother was in college he had a friend from Burundi and invited him to our house for the holidays. As my brother went around the room introducing our family his friend seemed utterly perplexed by my Tutu. When my brother explained this was his great-grandmother the friend gawked in disbelief stating, "Great-grandmother - This is not possible." He had never met someone that old before.

When the news said we could get 30 inches of snow my I had a similar feeling of disbelief. I had never seen 30 inches of snow except on ski slopes. I had no point of reference. I casually told my mom last night that the news was exaggerating.

We currently have 2 feet of snow and it is still coming down. The news says it won't stop until 10 tonight so there likely will be 30 inches of snow by tonight. It is beautiful, and mind boggling. This morning we let our dog Roxy out to play in the snow. After 20 minutes Jess remembered she was still out there and tried to get her to come in. She was completely stuck. She couldn't make it through the snow and Jess had to dig her out.

In honor of the snow I made my favorite family recipe. It's tasty and perfect with a warm cup of coffee. Here's our recipe for Buttons and Bow Knots. (They are basically sugared biscuits.) Enjoy!

1/3 c. Butter
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk

1 Egg

Cut butter into flour. Add sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and cinnamon. Mix until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Mix egg and milk and add to dough. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly. Roll 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured cutter. Hold opposite end of each ring and twist. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Dip into butter. Dip in 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home