THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Friday, February 5, 2010

Anticipation



Yesterday we had a visitor. The Comcast Cable technician came and restrung our cable line. Apparently a big truck had driven by and accidentally tore down the line. After a week without cable and internet I was so happy to see the technician that I felt like giving him a hug. He couldn't have come soon enough. The TV is a buzz of forecasters predicting a huge snow storm coming our way. They are giving updates every 15 minutes detailing how close the storm is and which counties are already getting snow. We are predicted to have 18 inches of snow by Saturday night.

I'm looking forward to the storm. I've made my preparations. I went to the grocery store and stocked up essentials. I've planned a tasty menu of cozy foods and warm baked good. I have a mountain of books to read and new Netflix to watch. I'm ready.

Whenever I hear a big storm is coming our way I fill my bird feeder and dump mounds of bird food on my window sills. I like to look out the window and see birds perched on my trees, fighting over the bird food or sitting contentedly, feathers puffed out from the cold. This morning when I went to re-fill the feeder I felt like I was part of Hitchcock's movie The Birds. Word must have gotten out about my feeder. Hundreds of birds were perched on every branch, power line and roof top waiting for their fill of bird food before the big storm.

Roxy does not share my enthusiasm for birds. She considers the bird feeder part of her territory and works diligently to scare off offending birds and squirrels. Today I made her stay inside and watch the birds. It was torture for her. She paced, scratched at the door and finally resigned herself to sit on the couch and watch the birds eat at our feeder. She seemed utterly dejected.

Winter is not my favorite season. I prefer warmer weather but I like the way a good snow storm brings everyone together. This morning my neighbor called to say he was running to the store and asked if I needed anything. The last big storm the guys in the neighborhood formed a team and shoveled out all the cars on the block. Typically everyone is too busy to slow down and hang out but a big storm unites us with a common purpose. I love that feeling. It makes the world seem more right. I'll post pictures of the snow later but now I'm off to grab a cup of hot chocolate and watch the flakes come down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home