THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Book Club Sunday

My family once had an online book club. We would post fiery debates on our Yahoo Groups Site. We made it through one book and then people quickly started losing interest. Now the site is dormant and there are reports of book club members receiving mountains of junk mail in their in-boxes from Yahoo.

I love to read and I love to talk about books. Lately I've been trading books with a friend who is an English teacher and it has been lovely. With 25 inches of snow on the ground and a cup of coffee in my hand all I want to do is snuggle up and read. It doesn't seem too likely at the moment. I have a wild child jumping in his bed trying to get out and a mountain of snow to shovel. Eventually, I'm going to get a moment to read.

I like people. I like watching people, thinking about people and wondering why they do the things they do. This year I'm mapping out my limited reading time to read a series of books about people doing things that I don't naturally understand.

Here are the first three books on my list. I am still looking for 3 more books to read as part of this series and I would love your suggestions. If you would like to discuss any of these books I would also love to hear your point of view. Happy Sunday!

"Working In The Shadows," by Gabriel Thompson discusses his experiences being employed in jobs on the bottom rung of the economic ladder.

Math geniuses who use quantitative-analysis techniques on Wall Street and their stories are told in Scott Patterson's new book The "Quants: How a New Breed of Math Whizzes Conquered Wall Street and Nearly Destroyed It."

"We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families: Stories from Rwanda" is a 1998 non-fiction book about the genocide of 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda in 1994, written by The New Yorker writer Philip Gourevitch.

1 Comments:

At February 8, 2010 at 4:58 AM , Blogger Leigh T said...

You are so brave to read something that stretches your brain. At the moment, I am stuck on fluff - I blame it on a lack of sleep.

The storm that hit us last night turned out to be nothing at all - only 1 inch of snow and no wind. So, maybe it'll die out before it hits you. Are you thawing yet? Stay warm!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home