THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Afraid

Today I was reminded that often the imagined threat is far worse than the reality. I am about to finish Biology 102. This means I'm a 25% finished with all of the prerequisites I need to apply for Physicians Assistant school. Unfortunately it also meant that I was stuck at a road block. All of the future classes I needed to take required completion of College Chemistry 1&2. To make matters worse they wouldn't allow me to enroll in Chemistry until I took Pre-Calculus. Since my first degree was in liberal arts I had only taken Statistics. Things were not looking good. If I had to take Pre-Calculus I would need three more math class - a significant delay in my education. There was only one possible way I might make it pass this road block. I would have to beg the college counselor to let me into Chemistry without the prerequisite math course.

In the past I have had very bad experiences with college counselors so I braced myself for the worst and prayed. My husband prayed. My friends prayed. My mom prayed and gave me a quick pep talk. JAC was going to have to tag along to visit the counselor because I didn't have a babysitter. I felt old, momish and defeated. My mom reminded me that the average age of a community college student is 29. I was in good company among many others working towards a dream.

JAC rode in his backpack on the way to the counselor's office. I prayed that he would be good. I prayed that I would be charming and I prayed that I would get into Chemistry. When Keith the counselor came out I felt hopeful. He was a tall guy with long braids wearing a pink sweater. We walked to his office with JAC squawking in route. I described my problem and I described my dream. JAC began to yell louder. Keith the counselor patiently told me I would need a math placement test. I felt disheartened and JAC was really starting to yell.

Somewhere between the yelling and my heart sinking, Keith took mercy on me. He got on his computer and whipped out the course catalog. He told me to pick out the class I wanted and registered me right then. I suddenly had renewed hope. Keith said he had nephews and understood. It was so nice to be understood.

Next semester I will be taking College Chemistry 101 and Medical Terminology. I'll need lots of prayers that I will understand the subject matter. I'm sure that's the truly scary part but today Jess and I sat down and mapped things out. If all goes well I'll be able to apply to PA school in a year and today I feel like I've won a small victory.

1 Comments:

At December 6, 2009 at 6:14 PM , Blogger Leigh T said...

Thank you Lord for your mercy! Write down those small victories on the calendar and keep it FOREVER.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home