THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Friday, October 23, 2009

I am Cheap...Really Cheap

My refrigerator currently has five items in it -celery, milk, apple juice, butter, and half a tomato. I haven't gone grocery shopping in over three weeks. Every month I go to the grocery store twice. Each time I carefully plan the menu and only spend 150$ per trip. Occasionally I fall off the wagon but most of the time I hit the mark. I am cheap. I largely blame my mother who raised us to be very cheap. Jess always chuckles at me when I try to explain to him that cereal is REALLY expensive and we don't need it.

This week I took my cheap ways to a whole new level. At church one day I told a few guys that I only spend 300$ a month on groceries and they said it wasn't possible. They practically called me a liar and of course that sparked one of my other less desirable qualities. I am competitive - really competitive. I decided to see how long I could make 150$ last. I had to get creative. Last night we had hobo dinners and we're not even hobos. Luckily Jess is very good natured about what we eat.

Last night I realized that I had gone too far. About a week ago Roxy ran out of dog food. Unfortunately for her I was already nose to the grindstone on my thrifty mission. Instead of buying more dog food I just started feeding her leftovers. In passing I told Jess what I was doing. He got a stunned look on his face. Surprised, I asked what was wrong. "You just fed Roxy my lunch," he replied. I felt guilty. Later I went out and bought dog food.

2 Comments:

At October 23, 2009 at 3:11 PM , Blogger Jill said...

What's wrong with hobo dinner??? I love it! Really love it!

So when you only spend $300 per month on groceries, does that mean that you still eat out a lot, or mostly eat at home? Groceries are disgustingly expensive up here. I hate going to the grocery store and almost always gripe that if we could have bought all of this at HEB it would have been like 60% cheaper. And I have even started being thriftier with what I buy and it's still a bank breaker.

 
At October 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Jesse, Toni and JAC said...

We only eat out twice a month. I will place a disclaimer. The 300$ does not include formula. That goes in its own budget column. Formula is like buying crude oil. I hate going to the grocery store too! I miss the way Texas was such a cheap place to live. DC is pricey! We don't even have a Walmart close by. Hope you guys are doing great in MT. Have you had snow yet?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home