THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hank the Cow Dog


My family didn't take many family vacations but the one I remember most was our ill-fated trip to Provo, Utah. It was supposed to be a trip to Yellowstone with a stop in Provo, Utah but our van broke down practically every day along the way. My mom tried to make the best of things for us and I actually remember the trip being really fun. We roller bladed all over the BYU campus and ate ice cream from the BYU creamery every day. I also remember mom reading us the Hank the Cow dog books. She read them while we waited at the mechanic and while we rode in a tiny rental car. She read them while we had to camp at the public park in Helper, Utah. She read while we rode in our van on top of a tow truck.


I have a deep fondness for these books about a cocky ranch dog, his sidekick Drover and their adventures. Last year when Jess and I took the trip to Yellowstone again we bought the books and took them along to commemorate the event. That trip must be doomed because I was pregnant and I think I puked in 13 states along the way. Nevertheless, we had a great time and Jess fell in love with the books too. He also got really good at pulling over on the side of the highway with little notice.


Jess has started reading the books to JAC. Jess typically puts JAC to bed and for the last few days I've had the pleasure of listening to him read the stories to JAC while I cook dinner. Of course Jess has a different voice for Hank and Drover and some of the other characters. JAC makes loud noises of delight and I can't help but smile while I cook.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home