THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Withdrawal

This week the U.S withdrew most of its troops from Iraqi cities. Only a small contingency of troops will remain in Iraq to assist and train the Iraqi military. I knew the withdrawal of troops was planned but when the day came I still bristled when I heard the news. I have felt very attached to our missions in Iraq and Afghanistan and troops that have served there. Somehow, this withdrawal felt like a declaration of defeat and the year I spent away from my husband felt worthless.

While Jess was in Iraq our relationship changed. All relationships adjust to stresses but there are many days I still mourn for our pre-Iraq relationship. I recognize that I choose to remember only the best of times but I still love recalling how it felt when everything was new and exciting together. I blame Iraq for making us both a little more cynical and allowing us to each have a complete year of memories that are just a little hard for the other person to completely understand.

Jess came home from his business trip today and I asked him how he felt about the withdrawal. To my surprise he did not share my gloomy outlook. He felt his time in Iraq was valuable and our troops had done great things for the Iraqi people. He understood that in many ways our withdrawal is a statement of hope. We hope for great things to happen based on a foundation that we helped build in Iraq . We recognize our withdrawal from Iraq is a statement about their desire for freedom and freedom is a great thing.I am choosing to share Jesse's optimism and I am leaving my readers with some statistics that might help. This weekend as we celebrate our country's freedom I will pause for a moment to remember our troops who have sacrificed to share that gift of freedom with other people around the world.

USAID reports they have spent 6.3 billion on programs to stabilize communities and build economic and agricultural sectors in Iraq. http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/3,000 Schools have been rehabilitated and 20 million new textbooks have been supplied.

http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/education.html98% of children between the ages of 1-5 have been vaccinated for measles, mumps and rubella. 97% have been vaccinated for the debilitating disease Polio.
http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/health.htmlOne vicious, abusive dictator removed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home