THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Playing to Win




Yesterday I called my mom and she was laughing at the bookstore. She had found a little book called, "How to Make Yourself Miserable." The book had suggestions like, "Imagine things to worry about." Mom and I had to laugh because we both have a tendency to dwell on negative "what if scenarios." When you really consider the reasoning behind this your realize it is completely illogical and a waste of time.

My friend loaned me a new book called "Sway". The premise of the book is that very often people make completely illogical decisions. I haven't quite finished the book but last night something jumped out at me. People are more likely to make a decision based on an aversion to loss than on a something good happening. For instance, customers are more likely to buy a flat rate cell phone plan even though it is unlikely they will use all the minutes and more affordable to pay as you go. People have an aversion to the possibility of losing money from talking over their minutes.

The great Florida football coach Steve Spurrier was able to exploit this human weakness with his "Fun and Gun," approach to football. When he became the coach of the Florida Gators the team was not doing well. He examined the rest of the conference and realized that coaches were not playing to win but rather playing conservatively so they would not loose. Spurrier created an aggressive offense that included big passing plays. He was playing to win and the results were obvious. He coached the gators to six SEC championships and one national championships.

I can't help but take a minute and assess how many times I hold back rather take a risk. I am cautious about trusting people and cautious about putting my faith fully in God. What great things could I be missing out on?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home