THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Winter Work Out



In the last hour our temperatures have plunged.  It is beginning to feel like winter which is fitting for December.  I can't help but feel chagrined.  I hate cold weather.  I usually attempt to hibernate all winter and gain ten pounds of fatty insulation.  This year I am attempting to buck my trend.

Warm rain came down most of the morning and when I saw a short break in the weather I ventured out for a fast run. The break was much shorter than I anticipated and we were caught in a windy downpour. We returned home - soaked - and I started my back-up workout plan. I ran my basement stairs.

Running stairs is both a great cardiovascular workout and tones your butt. Since I surrendered my abs to pregnancy I embrace anything to help my butt defy gravity. Running stairs is also really boring and a bit hazardous. Before you start sweep the area of tripping hazards. I almost killed myself on a stray piece of Captain Crunch.

To break up the monotony I rock out to Christmas music on Pandora. I also keep track of each time I make it up the stairs. I'm very competitive with myself. Seeing the tick marks accumulate keeps me motivated and provides small goals. Its much easier for me to finish a set of five rather than push through twenty more minutes.

My favorite part of running stairs is that it is warm. I hate being cold. Occasionally JAC will get in on the action. He has his own page of tick marks at the top of the stairs. This morning I ran 150 sets of stairs and burned over 600 calories. It took me 42 minutes. 

Are you exercising or hibernating this winter? I would love to hear your winter workout plans. In the meantime I'm going to eat 600 calories worth of cookies.

2 Comments:

At December 1, 2010 at 3:23 PM , Anonymous Jill H said...

"to help my butt defy gravity" hahaha. Yes, I actually did lol.
Right now I'm exercising, but we shall see how long that lasts. My knees are bad, so running steps is out for me. Actually, running in general is out. My cardio has to come from low to no impact such as swimming, biking, or elliptical.

 
At December 17, 2010 at 10:52 AM , Blogger Leigh T said...

Does opening the fridge count? Or lifting the 22 pound girl? Or running to find the screaming child who has got himself stuck under a bed? No? oh. Then, no, I'm not working out right now... should get to that as my butt is beginning to follow the example of Newton's apple...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home