THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Friday Adventure





Today JAC and I ate breakfast and then headed downtown. The weather was perfect for a good adventure. We parked at our usual spot and started walking. I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

When I was in third grade our state hosted academic competitions called UIL. For two years I competed in Picture Memory. You had to remember names, artists, background and the country of origin of famous pieces of art. I loved it and someday when I get rich I think I'll go back to school for Art History. In the meantime, JAC and I will just go visit the National Gallery of Art.

I've learned the best adventures are those when I have limited expectations. I can't expect JAC to enjoy the art museum for two hours but we did enjoy the art museum for thirty minutes. We looked at van Gogh, and Picasso, Monet and Cezanne. I loved every minute of it. I'm not sure the other patrons loved us. JAC spent most of his time making loud noises so he could hear his voice echo off the walls.

We ate a quick lunch in the sculpture garden and stopped by the Freer Gallery of Art on the walk back. The gallery mostly features Asian art and works by James Whistler.

Since having JAC I've done a good bit of thinking about art. I've been trying to decide the value of art. I know it serves to document a culture but for me I think it also has a lot to do with the value of quietness. I'll let you think about that and end with two recommendations.

The sculpture garden has live Jazz on Friday nights. I can't wait for our next date night.

Did you know the National Gallery of Art has a website for kids? It's pretty awesome and a great way to introduce your kid to the fine arts. http://www.nga.gov/kids/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home