THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Just When You Thought I Couldn't Get Any Weirder

I have always felt that individual letters have colors. In my mind the letter A is yellow and the letter Q is always blue. Sometimes this interferes with my ability to spell because I hate to mentally see colors next to each other that just don't seem to work.

Similarly, I often relate things I really love to tastes I really enjoy. For instance, when I imagine the perfect pair of calf-length black riding boots I instantly taste mint chocolate chip ice cream in my mouth.

For a long time I thought everyone had similar sensations. Then, this weekend as I drove home from Charlottesville I heard a story on the radio about synesthesia. Synesthesia is a neurological disorder in which the senses get crossed. The part of your brain responsible for this information is very near your ear.

Some studies suggest that one in 23 people have symptoms of synesthesia. While there are no known negative side-effects it is suggested the disorder often causes a person to be more creative. In my case it just makes me a little more weird. Happy Tuesday - Especially to all of my weird friends.

1 Comments:

At March 12, 2010 at 6:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same sensation! Random tastes connected to different things! Obviously, great minds are genetic, lol!
Mom

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home