THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer in DC

Summer in D.C is highlighted by three things, humidity, tourists and the arrival of the door knockers. Every summer a new crop of door knockers arrive in our community going door to door selling things or campaigning for causes. This week two twenty somethings in baggy jeans tried to sell me organic house cleaner. They were very determined and tried insisting that I needed an organic cleaner because of the baby. My friend Valerie was visiting with her baby and told them vinegar and lemon juice worked just fine. I'm not sure they caught the drift because they replied, "I love that stuff. I put in on my meat."

Door knockers in the past weeks have included passionate environmentalists, a group trying to get a workers rights bill passed, a girl trying to stop poverty in the Sudan, inner city kids selling candy and a very nice group of Jehovah Witnesses. In the beginning of the summer I patiently listen to their spill but as the summer wanes on my irritation grows and I try to usher them off my porch as quickly as possible. Seeing my frustration yesterday Valerie gave me a great suggestion. She said at her house they keep a note on the front door that says, "Baby sleeping. Do not disturb." I think that sounds like a great idea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home