THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Homesick

It is raining here again and we are stranded because our SUV (lovingly nicknamed "Big Red") is in the shop getting her yearly inspection. As I was sitting and drinking my coffee I thought about Christmas this year and how special it was. We had just brought JAC home and the housed was crammed full of people I love. I was exhausted and at the time didn't realize how special this time was but now I look back at it with warm fondness. I remember my big brother holding my tiny baby in the sun streaming through our kitchen windows so JAC wouldn't have Jaundice. I remember my dad holding little JAC every opportunity that he could. I remember sweet Lady telling me "I looked great - like I had never had a baby," even though I was 50 pounds overweight and I remember her quietly giving advice but never interfering. I remember my looking up baby care videos on the Internet even though she has four kids of her own and knew what to do. I remember my mom cooking me soup when I was exhausted and telling me, "Just because you have a baby doesn't mean you're not still my baby too." I will cherish all of these memories forever.

This year my family gave me wonderful Christmas presents. My awesome husband remembered how much I love new clothes and bought me happy pajamas I could wear despite being overweight. He also got me cookbooks I could use to try new recipes while I was home with JAC. One of my favorite gifts was from my mom. She bought me a day calendar full of pictures of the West. Even though I love D.C every day I miss the mountains in my home state of New Mexico. The calendar has pictures taken by John Gavrilis(www.gavrilisphotography.com) and my favorites are of the San Juan mountains. I did some camping and kayaking in the San Juan mountains growing up and still to this day can think of no place I love quite as much. Looking through the pictures today I feel very homesick for Rocky Mountains. I have always felt that the Rockies seems wild and free and I love that feeling.

The calendar also reminded me of my good friend Sara. We're running buddies, both from New Mexico and she shares my love for the mountains. Getting to know her this year has been a huge gift because I admire her so much. She is quiet and sweet but very very strong and has an amazing ability for making smart logical decisions. She also loves my son despite his crying through several of our running dates. I can't help but think that if JAC had not come into our lives I would have never gotten to know Sara. I continue to find it amazing how much God has blessed our life through that little guy. JAC wasn't planned but I am slowly beginning to realize he is the best thing that ever happened to us.

2 Comments:

At March 19, 2009 at 1:49 PM , Blogger mom said...

Sweet comments from a sweet girl! I miss the mountains on a daily basis so I really appreciate the link (-: and love that we have this in common.
I really miss you.
Love, Mom

 
At March 25, 2009 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Lady said...

Ay! que cute :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home