THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Best of Your Nest

We live in a compact rental house in Arlington, VA and most days we love it.  We have always been renters and most of my friends rent or own small "fixer-upers."  Renting has lots of advantages.  My favorite is being able to call the landlord when the washer floods the basement and not incur the cost personally.  Renting also has its disadvantages.  Renters can't knock down walls, change floor plans or sometimes even paint.  We don't pick out the cabinets or choose the carpeting.  Instead, renters work with the canvas provided and learn to be content. 

This week during my run I was saying thankful prayers for our little rental house.  It has kept us safe and warm.  It is the house where we started our family.  As I ran I made a mental list of the things I love about our house. The list is below.  What do you love about your nest?  This is your chance to embrace all the small flaws and annoyances and list the best of your nest.

1. I love my eat in kitchen.  This winter I have made lots of new mom friends.  While I am generally uncomfortable with most social situations, I love hosting a friend for coffee and lunch in my kitchen.  I feel at ease cooking and talking in our warm sunny kitchen.

2. Compact Size:  I used to long for the wide open floor plan of a Midwest rambler.  Now I really enjoy that the bathroom is only a mere four feet from the kitchen and bedroom.  While JAC takes a bath I can make the bed or check on dinner and still be within a safe distance.

3. Location:  I love living within walking distance of both restaurants and the running trail.  We are also a mere five minutes from Jess' job.  He loves the short commute and I love seeing him first thing after work.

4. Storage:  This house has an unfinished room in the basement.  It is weather proof but not useful for anything but storage.  When we moved in we didn't realize how awesome this feature is.  It is exceptionally nice to be able to easily store seasonal items or off season clothing without worry.  If I ever build a house I'm including a "junk room."

1 Comments:

At February 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM , Blogger Leigh T said...

1. Our little house has a long and skinny floorplan, which means my children begin their dash (pushing dump trucks or strollers) in the living room, are at break-neck speed at the kitchen and finish their race by hurtling into the master bath where they pull a u-ey and make the return trip at warp speed. Repeated several times a day on most days.

2. My "one-butt" kitchen. Everybody else: stay out. Love. it.

3. The dining/play/living/reading/quilting room: where everything happens and we are all together.

Hooray for little homes filled with a lot of life! I hope your little guy is feeling much better.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home