THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Connelly Zoo

JAC is fast asleep and I am finally enjoying a quiet moment to myself. We have had a really busy week. My grandparents came for a quick visit and we had a great time. I am always amazed at how effortlessly my family loves little JAC. It is such a gift to have so many people who care about me care about my son too. Their visit was a whirlwind but I think the highlight was definitely the Cherry Blossoms. On Sunday after church Jess drove us all down past the Tidal Basin and we parked near Haines Point. For the next few hours we walked around admiring all the flowering Cherry Trees and seeing the monuments. It was so beautiful that we all agreed to forgo lunch and keep walking. Even JAC seemed to like it and slept most of the time. Around three we were all tired and starving. We packed up and went in search of food. Over a very late lunch and some Sangria, we all admitted the Cherry Trees were absolutely lovely - like a painting or a picture from a book.

After all our company left I spent most of the next day moping around. The house seemed lonely and I missed having people to talk to and extra hands to help with JAC. The weather was cloudy again and JAC seemed particularly needy. By the time Jess came home I was really grumpy. In the middle of the night I woke up with my classic nightmares and Jess had to convince me there weren't men in the ceiling trying to get me. I woke up the next morning with a revelation. If JAC was going to be cranky I'd like to be out somewhere cool with him. We were going to start taking field trips. I took a quick shower, did my hair, packed us up and took us to the zoo. We had so much fun. JAC slept part of the time but he also spent a good bit of time looking around. I almost think he his happier when he is out and about because later this afternoon when he started getting really cranky I took him and Roxy out for a long run and they both acted like they loved it. I ran an old route I used to take Jess on when I wanted to rub it in that I was in better shape than he. The route has some killer hills and I took a lot of pride in my hill running ability. Today, I had to swallow my pride. It was great to be out running again but those hills were killer. I'm pretty sure I was practically walking for part of the run.

JAC has started a new phase of his babyhood. It seems like just when I get things figured out something changes. He has decided that he hates bed time. It doesn't matter if he is exhausted and falls asleep in my arms, the minute I put him in his crib he starts screaming. This is no ordinary screaming. It is full blown yelling to the point where he can hardly breath. I've been trying to wait him out as the pediatrician suggested but he can be pretty determined. Most nights it takes over an hour to get him to sleep. Luckily, once he goes to sleep he has been sleeping up to 7 hours and that is really nice. This morning he woke up at four. I stumbled into his room and looked in and he was smiling and laughing. He wanted to play. He was making funny sounds and kicking. It was pretty cute and I have to admit that if I have to be awake at four in the morning that is a really nice thing to wake up to.

Finally JAC continues to be extra sneaky. He hates to be strapped into his car seat. Today he started fussing and I went back to check on him. He gave me a big smile and then let a huge blob of white baby spit come flying out of his mouth. Luckily I dodged just in time but I think he was trying to help me understand how he feels about his car seat. -hehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home