THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cave

Every few weeks I typically find myself thinking and re-thinking three big ideas.  The list changes often as I sort out my thoughts and develop conclusions.  The topic list is largely influenced by the activities of my daily life.

Today fifteen different work men have been in my house all day.  They converge on the house every three months and examine each knob and corner, fixing deficiencies.  This level of household maintenance is quite a luxury but the intrusion into my domain sends me running to my "idea cave."  This is the place I mentally go and ponder deep thoughts rather than existing in my present paradigm.

Welcome to my idea cave.  Is it wrong to take pictures of ordinary people without their permission?  A favorite genre of photography could be named, "pictures of the locals."  I admit I find some of these pictures fascinating.  Documenting the lives of ordinary people illustrates their way of life and displays the uniqueness of their culture.  It also reduces these people to a carnival side show.  We often act as voyeurs to their misery.  Every day I want to take pictures of the man carrying a sofa on his back or the boy moving a slaughtered pig to the market on his bicycle, but I am reticent. 

When we had the large earthquake mice and rats came out and ran about.  Is this common after earthquakes?  Would an earthquake feel different if you were standing underground in your basement?

Money in many ways is notional.  For instance, when you get paid it is deposited directly into your account but no physical object is transferred.  Gold bars are not moved to your bank.  In the 90's Brazil minted the Real - a completely new currency when inflation grew too high under the Cruzado.  If money is fictional - could we think our way into a better economy?

I've been reading Mormon Mom Blogs lately and the women seem so comfortable in motherhood.  Their faith considers motherhood very important.  While being a stay at home mom is not exactly looked down on by the average American it is not typically characterized as "important."  For instance, people ask me "What do you plan to do when JAC goes to school?"  I ask myself the same question, but no one says - "You're raising children, that is such important work."

Thanks for stopping by my cave.  I am off to make cookies because that is one of the luxuries of staying at home.  I love mid-afternoon baking.  I would love your thoughts on any of the above subjects or if you have your own "idea cave" please tell me what you're thinking about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home