THE ADVENTURES OF THE JAC ATTACK!

A Blog about a clever boy and a mom determined to out-smart him.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Basking in the Ordinary

I am drinking my afternoon coffee.  My hair is in hot rollers and I'm basking in the ordinary.  I am savoring my normal routine in my own little house.  It is excellent.

I have a standard rule.  I don't buy toys.  Toys are expensive, kids quickly lose interest and your home soon looks like a cluttered daycare.  Instead we spend many hours outside at the park or inside refashioning my kitchen utensils.  I know I sound like a big jerk and we do have a few toys that were gifts from grandparents or hand me downs.

Today JAC woke up and started a continual banter about baseball. My heart softened.  I put him right in the car, drove to Target and picked out a baseball bat.  I think it might have been one of the best days in JAC's short life.  He was thrilled.

We took our bat and ball to the park and played for hours.  We took turns running imaginary bases, pitching and hitting.  Eventually when that grew old the bat was turned into a gun, used as a shovel and then ridden all the way home like a horse. 




I guess some rules were made to be broken.  Are you a rule breaker by nature?  What rule have you broken lately?

1 Comments:

At June 28, 2011 at 4:38 PM , Blogger Jill said...

Buying him a ball and bat is not the same as buying him the standard toy. Instead, it is a tool for his imagination that will stay around for many years.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home